So today it’s a little windy outside. And by that I mean we have gusts from 60-70 mph. El Paso, TX has some seriously crazy wind/dust storms. On days like these we try to stay indoors because it gets a little crazy outside when the weather is like this. We have a whole play room of toys and games but sometimes those get “boring”, or so my kids say. And I refuse to let them watch TV all day. Not because I am the kind of mom who limits the amount of screen time her kids get (if you are, then that’s amazing and good job mama) but because when bed time rolls around they still have so much energy. So, I have to get crafty and find ways to make their little brains work! Today’s activity, DINOSAUR SAND!
This is a super easy activity and I bet you have all the ingredients at home! It doesn’t seem like much but my youngest came spent a good amount of time playing with it. He made “snowmen” and he buried the dinos. You can use any “theme” you want. It doesn’t have to be dinosaur themed but my boys are obsessed with dinosaurs. Let’s be real, at this point I think I’m the one with the obsession. Anyways… Let’s get to it.
What You’ll Need:
- Baking soda
- Small mixing bowl and spoon/dropper
- Food coloring
- Old baking pan or anything to put the “sand” in
- Dinosaurs or other small toys (OPTIONAL)
- Sprinkle a layer of baking soda (however thick you want it) in your pan or bin.
- In small mixing bowl mix about 1/4 cup of vinegar with a drop or two of food coloring (we used green)
- Now you can either use a spoon or a medicine dropper for this next part. I used a spoon. Drizzle a few spoonfuls over the baking soda. Mix together. You don’t want it to be runny at all! It should be clumpy or form “rocks”. And you’re done.
My youngest was so excited to see the vinegar and baking soda reaction. So I’m thinking we need to do more activities involving those two.